Sunday, December 4, 2011

TOP 5 OF 2011!

It's coming to the end of 2011 and with only 3 major releases left (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol & Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows), I thought I'd go ahead and make my annual Top 5. For those wondering why now, simply because I probably won't get to see the aforementioned titles until 2012, as this season is always a busy one for me. So, without further adieu, my Top 5 films of 2011.

5) SOURCE CODE - DUNCAN JONES



Source Code is intelligent, thrilling and masterfully directed by Duncan Jones. His previous film, Moon, highlighted his ability to squeeze the best out of each of his actors and Jake Gyllenhaal gives a career best here. The screenplay (written by Ben Ripley) is tight and full of twists, keeping you compelled until the credits roll. Like a great novel you can't put down, if you haven't seen Source Code, I highly recommend doing so. 

4) RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - RUPERT WYATT 


An awesome, awesome reinvention of the classic sci-fi series. Honestly, who thought the suits at 20th Century Fox would allow Rupert Wyatt the freedom to create such a wonderful, intelligent and exciting blockbuster? I was completely wrong about this one. To the point that I'm now adamant that Andy Serkis should take home the Best Supporting Actor Oscar in March 2012. Here's hoping the institution recognizes his outstanding work in Apes. Hail Caesar! Hail this movie! 

3) I SAW THE DEVIL - JEE-WOON KIM


South Korea's answer to Se7en; Jee-woon Kim's I Saw The Devil is a monster of a film. Starring two superb actors (Min-Sik Choi of Oldboy & Byung-hun Lee of A Bittersweet Life), the film sees a special agent turn the tables on the serial killer who slaughtered his wife. The hunter becomes the hunted and ultra-violence commences. Certainly not one for the squeamish and while I'll probably never sit through it again, I'm really glad I caught it. 

2) HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - JASON EISENER 


Jason Eisener's Hobo With A Shotgun is a wonderful ode to the trashy films of the VHS-era. Rutger Hauer dirties it up as the hobo; a wandering soul in search of cash to start up his own lawn-mowing business. When the hobo encounters the town's brutish mayor and his two maniac sons, he realizes there is a more important task at hand; the destruction of the town's scumbags, pimps and dealers. Hobo With A Shotgun is a symphony of neon-glow violence conducted by a capable and interesting director. If I had seen this film when I was a young teen, I've no doubt it would have become a monthly midnight watch for sure. 

1) 13 ASSASSINS - TAKASHI MIIKE


A strikingly beautiful film by gonzo director Takashi Miike. This gets my number one spot due to the culmination of great acting, writing, direction, costume design, set production, etc. The climactic action sequence is certainly the best of the year and could very well be one of the best battles ever filmed. A truly great film with a wonderful sense of camaraderie between the samurai. Oh, and I almost forgot; 13 Assassins has, quite simply, the vilest villain of the naughties. Check this out immediately.

And so that's that. Another year finished! Honorable mentions go to Drive, Hanna, Crazy Stupid Love and X-Men: First Class

No comments:

Post a Comment